Friday, September 16, 2005

Not Scary at All...I Promise!

Tonight as I left work, the sky was filled with thousands of tiny birds. I had forgotten that it's that time of year when the skies in NW Portland turn into an amazing playground for thousands of Vaux's Swifts, where every year they spend a week in The Chapman School chimney. I cannot describe how incredible it was to witness. I have never seen so many birds in my life. It was as if I was looking at a negative image of a starry night, and the stars were all dancing. As the sun went down and the sky darkened, the swifts made a giant cyclone and began flying into the chimney for the night, how they all fit, I can't imagine.

Sorry to get all Bird-Watching on you, but it truly was one of the most incredible spectacles I've ever seen. I declare Birds to be truly Awesome!

3 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

Oh my god, please take me there!

11:48 PM  
Blogger krista messer said...

I ALWAYS miss this!! I have gone every fall to see it, and somehow never have. It must be amazing!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

i am so jealous of your witness! i love those little swifts!!!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Site Counter