Monday, November 07, 2005

Maupassant mon amour


Yesterday, I was sitting at work and thinking about how I need to get a start on my Holiday shopping. While making lists of imaginary items I plan to gift to people, I decided that I should head to Powells to pick up a few of these items on my lunch break. Once at Powells I discovered that every item I'd hoped to pick up for other people were not on the shelves. I was quick to find something for myself, and decided that I would again procrastinate on my gift shopping. What I found was quite a winner. The Penguin Classics, Guy De Maupassant 'A Parisian Affair and Other Stories'. My main inspiration for this purchase, like most of my purchases, was film influenced. I knew that John Ford's Stagecoach, had been greatly influenced by the Maupassant short story 'Boule de Suif', and was anxious to read it. Actually Ford was offered the job of directing a French production of 'Boule de Suif' in the late sixties, but that fell through due in part, to his failing health.

Anyhow, these stories are great! They are as melodramatic, and sex filled as the latest issue of IN TOUCH, and just as easy to read (though I did use the foot notes to clarify some of the more obscure references). I just love reading about old timey Hookers. They are always so charming and spirited, not at all like the tired old tramps you see these days. The best thing is that most of these stories are so short, you could read them on the can if you were so inclined-though not recomended. I highly recommend picking up a copy. This gets the Mummy's Pajamas book of the Month award.

2 Comments:

Blogger polly conway said...

this book will soon join "jokes for the john" in my ladies' room. love ya, doll!!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I want it now! I must borrow when I get back.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Site Counter