Monday, January 30, 2006


Well it has been awhile since I last caught up with you. This past month, I've taken more of an interest in catching up on my reading, and it has been a nice change. I'm totally that person that goes to Powell's and buys four books knowing damn well that I will only read one of them before I'm distracted and begin something else. Well as a sort of unspoken resolution I am turning my attentions to those pleasures found on the written page, instead of a projected screen.

I just right now finished reading Lonesome Dove, and feeling somewhat destroyed. Being a person who is prone to getting swept away with a good story I feel this is becoming almost silly habit, but I really wouldn't have it any other way. Having followed the characters in the story for over 850 pages, I feel I could continue reading for at least another 850 more.

Lonesome Dove is an epic of the highest order. It is somewhat like a cross between Gone with the Wind and Lord of the Rings. But the thing that is amazing about this book is that each of the characters (and there are a ton of them) is given such care and thought, that it feels like a much more intimate story. I find that I really can't write about this book and do it any justice. My words are ultimately too cheap. All I can do is to urge you to read this book, even if you think you could give a shit about western literature, believe me it transcends any simple genre classification. Simply put, it's Wonderful! Read It!

2 Comments:

Blogger ted d. said...

I thought maybe you'd tossed in the towel since Johnny moved out; that maybe your muse was gone.

I'm glad to see I may have been mistaken.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

i love reading living film, but to be quite honest, i love reading all about you more! please post more on this blog - it makes me feel closer to you!

i miss you so much!!!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Site Counter